GetCOO

Chiesa dei Santi Michele e Gaetano

The baroque church was built for the Theatine order, who obtained funding from the noble families in Florence, including the Medicis. CardinalCarlo de' Medici was particularly concerned with the work, and his name is inscribed on the façade. Building took place between 1604 and 1648. The original designs were by Bernardo Buontalenti but a number of architects had a hand in building it, each of whom changed the design. The two most important architects were Matteo Nigetti and Gherardo Silvani. The church is also known as the Church of Santi Michele e Gaetano, because it was built at the site of a Romanesque church, San Michele Bertelde, dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel.



image