The Church and adjoining convent belonged to the enclosed order of Dominican nuns. Following damage to the building during the second world war, the nuns moved to the monastery of S. Domenico Nuovo taking with them the reliquaries and the works of art that were most important for worship. Today the convent building has been adapted and is mostly occupied by shops. The convent was founded in the late 14th century by Chiara Gambacorti – a nun at the convent of S. Croce in Fossabanda, and member of a powerful family of merchants – who in 1382 founded the first devotional community of the Dominican Order. As well as helping the needy, the convent became a powerful force in reforming the Order.