GetCOO

Chiesa di San Girolamo

S. Girolamo church dates back to the middle of the XV century. It was assigned to the congregation of the Gerolamine monks of Beato Pietro from Pisa in 1496. They built the monastery and the church. The first name of the church was Santa Maria, then Santa Maria delle Grazie and San Girolamo; finally, in 1537, it was named after S. Girolamo only. The building was almost completely destroyed by the 1688 earthquake, then restored and completed in 1718. The interior preserves a sixteenth century canvas by an anonymous painter from Romagna, depicting "S.Thomas' disbelief".



image