GetCOO

Chiesa di San Leonardo

Built in 1025 and consecrated in 1343. In 1260 the Scuola di Santa Maria della Carità, the first Scuola Grande was founded here. It later moved to the complex of Santa Maria della Carità which is now part the Accademia Galleries. The present church dates from a rebuilding of 1794 by Bernardino Maccaruzzi. Suppressed by the French in 1807, and having since been used as a coal warehouse and for band practice, it was a community centre and now sometimes houses exhibitions. Almost nothing remains of the internal features of the church, baring a few column capitals set into the top of the walls and a couple of doorcases.



image