The church was founded in 1125 by Martino Doria, as the private chapel of his family. In 1278 it was totally renewed in Gothic style. The building was again renovated in the mid-16th century by order of Andrea Doria, who commissioned the work to Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli. It was further renovated in 1557–1559, under design by Giovanni Battista Castello (nave and aisles) and decoration, realized by Luca Cambiaso among the others. Of the Gothic building, the nave, aisles and the façade are in white (marble) and black (slate) stripes, divided into three sectors by fake columns with Lombard bands; in the center is a large rose window, while on the sides are two double mullioned windows.