GetCOO

Palazzo Gio Battista Spinola

Built in 1563 by the architect Bernadino Cantone for Giovanni Battista and Andrea Spinola, the palazzo was initially constructed as a solid cube with no external decoration. Considerable changes were made between the 17th and 18th centuries when an additional floor was added. In 1723 the palazzo was acquired by the Doria family, noblemen and subsequently marquises of Montaldeo. After the devastating damage inflicted during the bombardment by the French fleet in 1684, the fa?ade was decorated with its current stucco, with pairs of pilaster strips divided by the window frames. In the atrium there is a large pensile lantern crowned with the heraldry eagle, the emblem of the Doria family.



image