GetCOO

Palazzo Mediceo

Palazzo Mediceo was built between 1517and 1523. Its main purpose was that of hosting the Governor of San Leo and the Montefeltro area on behalf of the Republic of Florence. The troops of the city of Florence, led by Antonio Ricasoli, conquered San Leo in May 1517 with an historical battle celebrated by Vasari with a fresco in Florence’s Palazzo Vecchio.The building lies between the Parish Church and the Cathedral, right on the main square. In typical Renaissance style, it features four halls on the ground floor. The city of Florence’s coat of arms (the lily), is carved right on the main door (1521), near the coat of arms of Della Rovere family, which ruled the town from 1508 to 1631.



image