GetCOO

Palazzo Municipale

Begun in 1245, the City Hall was the residence of the Este family until the 16th century. The main entrance is through Volto del Cavallo, opposite the cathedral, and is flanked by two sculptures, copies of the original 15th century ones. To the right, above an arch designed by Leon Battista Alberti, is a statue of Niccolò III d’Este on horseback; to the left, seated on a column, is his son Borso. The present-day facade is a neo-Gothic reconstruction that includes the Torre della Vittoria, where the bronze monument to Victory, a work of great value by Arrigo Minerbi (1918) is housed.



image