The Powder Tower or Powder Gate is a Gothic tower in Prague. It is one of the original city gates, dating back to the 11th century. It separates the Old Town from the New Town. The Powder Tower is one of the original 13 city gates in Old Town. Construction began in 1475. The tower was intended to be an attractive entrance into the city, instead of a defensive tower. The foundation stone was placed by Vladislav II. The city council gave Vladislav II the tower as a coronation gift. While it was being built, it was called the New Tower. The look of the tower was inspired by the work of Peter Parler on the Charles Bridge.