GetCOO

Rocca Brancaleone

Rocca Brancaleone was built by the Venetians in 1457 with the purpose of reinforcing the defensive structures of the city. It stood in an uninhabited area to the north-east of the city walls, close to the road that led to Venice. The main construction of the fortress was the Rocca itself, a wide quadrilateral surface measuring 2180 square metres with four impressing circular towers at the corners, joined by walls. To the south rises the socalled Cittadella, a 14.000 square-meter area once used for the accommodation of the garrisons, for the storage of foodstuffs and arms, for the stalls and for other purposes.



image