GetCOO

Rovine della Chiesa di S. Andrea

The Sant'Andrea church is documented since the 12th century and was built in the castle of Fiorenzuola, at the top of the main square. In a parchment of 1129 we read that the archbishop of Ravenna, owner of the area, ceded in perpetual lease some land "in Florentia"; in 1138, the castle is among the properties of the abbey of St. Apollinaris in Classe (Ravenna) and since 1197 there is mention of the church of S. Andrea di Focara. The territory was governed by the Archbishops of Ravenna through a Viscount. The bell tower and the parsonage today are the only surviving parts after an earthquake that in 1916 destroyed part of the town.



image