GetCOO

145847027614

The building in the current forms dates back to 1726, the work of architect Vincenzo Santini, and was erected on the site of an earlier church (1274), of which remains the bell tower and the Canani family Chapel (15th century), that was the ancient apse. Near the present apse are the "Crocette" (Crosses) of San Domenico (13th century), which were home to the University since 1397. In St. Domenico was housed the Court of the Holy Inquisition. On the inside (which is worth a visit) we find the remarkable wooden choir (1384) and some great works of art: we find paintings by the Scarsellino, Carlo Bononi, Francesco Pellegrini, Gaetano Gandolfi and Francesco Parolini.