Accademia dei Georgofili

The Accademia dei Georgofili was established in Florence in 1753. The academy has been an historic institution for over 250 years, and is best known for promoting amongst scholars and landowners, the studying of agronomy, forestry, economy, geography, and agriculture. The Academy of Georgofili was established in Florence at the beginning of June 1753 as a response to an essay by the Lantern Canon and Abbot Montelatici Ubaldo, who proposed new horizons of agricultural research. It originated from the need to improve agricultural production through rational utilisation of the soil. In 1783 it merged with the Botany Society and received in concession the Giardino dei Semplici,