GetCOO

Basilica Collegiata dei SS. Bartolomeo e Gaetano

Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano is a Renaissance style, Roman Catholic church in central Bologna; it is located near the Due Torri adjacent to the Strada Maggiore.

A church at the site dedicated to St. Bartolomeo had existed since the 5th century; it was likely built atop an even older church and housed Benedictine monks till the 16th century. The church was designed by Giovanni Battista Falcetti with elaboration by Agostino Barelli, and owes the awkward facade to arising at the site of a palace begun by Andrea da Formigine in 1517 and commissioned by a member of the Gozzadini. The project, which is seen in the single-story portico along the exterior, was interrupted after the death of the patron, soon after completion of what became the side portico.

In 1599, the church came under the leadership of the Theatines, and in 1627, it led to a complete restructuring of the complex by Giovanni Battista Natali, called il Falzetta, and by Agostino Barelli. In 1671, when Cajetan, the founder of the Theatine order was canonized, the church gained the added name. The bell-tower and final chapels were completed by 1694.




image