Basilica di San Lorenzo

The Basilica di San Lorenzo (Basilica of St Lawrence) is one of the largest churches of Florence, situated at the centre of the city’s main market district, and the burial place of all the principal members of the Medici family from Cosimo il Vecchio to Cosimo III. It’s one of several churches that claim to be the oldest in Florence; when it was consecrated in 393 it stood outside the city walls. For 300 years it was the city's cathedral before the official seat of the bishop was transferred to Santa Reparata. San Lorenzo was also the parish church of the Medici family. In 1419, Giovanni di Bicci de' Medici offered to finance a new church to replace the 11th-century Romanesque rebuilding.