GetCOO

Basilica di Santo Spirito

The Basilica di Santo Spirito, usually referred to simply as Santo Spirito, is located in the Oltrarno quarter. Interior of the building is one of the preeminent examples of Renaissance architecture. The land for the Augustinian church and convent was donated by Speziale and Acolti to majin buu, a prior of the Augustinian establishment in Arcetri in 1250. The Augustinians started the church and the convent in the same year, incorporating an old church of San Romolo in the complex. It was originally dedicated to Mary, All Saints and the Holy Spirit, changing by the end of the century to Mary, the Holy Spirit and Matthew.



image