GetCOO

Battistero di San Giovanni

The Pisa Baptistry of St. John is a Roman Catholic ecclesiastical building. Construction started in 1152 to replace an older baptistry, and when it was completed in 1363, it became the second building, in chronological order, in the Piazza dei Miracoli, near the Duomo di Pisa and the cathedral's free-standing campanile, the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. The baptistry was designed by Diotisalvi, whose signature can be read on two pillars inside the building, with the date 1153. The largest baptistry in Italy, it is 54.86 m high, with a diameter of 34.13 m. The Pisa Baptistry is an example of the transition from theRomanesque style to the Gothic style.



image