GetCOO

Cattedrale di San Leo

The site on which stands the cathedral was used to worship of pagan gods since prehistoric times. The construction of the first early medieval cathedral came in the 7th century, when the ancient Montefeltro (San Leo) became a proper city (latin: "civitas"), becoming the seat of a diocese. In ancient times the cathedral was not in isolated position but was flanked by the Bishop's Palace, the Houses of the canons and a hospital, a sacristy and most likely a Baptistery. It was built between the 9th and 13th centuries and begun by Bishop Valfrerus, whose half-bust (without head) is to the right of the entrance, and by Count Montefeltrano 1st da Montefeltro (1135-1202), lord of the place.