GetCOO

Chiesa dei Santi Bartolomeo e Alessandro dei Bergamaschi

Santi Bartolomeo ed Alessandro dei Bergamaschi (Saint Bartholomew the Apostle and Alexander of Bergamo of the inhabitants ofBergamo) is a little church in Piazza Colonna, next to Palazzo Wedekind. Originally it was named Santa Maria della Pietà, from the high relief over the door. The present Santa Maria della Pietà in Rome is in Vatican City. In its origins (1591) the church was the chapel erected by padre Ferrante Ruiz for the Ospedale dei Pazzarelli, Rome's first insane asylum. When this was moved to Via della Lungara in the 1720s, the church was given over to the Archiconfraternità dei Bergamaschi, who rebuilt it in 1731-35 to designs of Giuseppe Valvassori.



image