GetCOO

Chiesa dei Ss. Andrea e Claudio dei Borgognoni

The Church of SS. Claudius and Andrew of the Burgundians is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to Saint Claudius of Besançon and the apostle Saint Andrew. It is one of the national churches in Rome dedicated to France (Free County of Burgundy). Built from 1728 to 1730, the church was designed by French architect Antoine Dérizet. Burgundians, mostly bankers and merchants, were present in Rome since the 15th century. Following the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648) and the annexation by the Kingdom of France of the Free County of Burgundy (previously ruled by the Holy Roman Empire and today's Franche-Comté), the community grew up to twelve thousand people.



image