GetCOO

Chiesa del Santo Sepolcro

The Church, built from locally quarried stone and lit by slit windows, is octagonal in shape with a pyramidal cone-shaped roof resting on a central raised drum. In 1138 this Church is mentioned as part of a construction belonging to the Knights Hospitaliers of St. John of Jerusalem, who arrived in Pisa in 1113. It later belonged to the Knights of Malta until, in 1817, the Order was suppressed and the Church passed under Royal patronage. An inscription at the base of the bell-tower tells us that the architect was Diotisalvi, who designed the Baptistery, but restoration work in 1970 uncoveredan earlier octagonal building on which the eight pillars of this temple rest.



image