GetCOO

Chiesa della Madonna della Luce

In 1512, the Knights of St John donated this site next to their church of San Luca to the Commune for a new church that was to be built to house a highly venerated image of the Virgin (see below). It is usually open for prayer. The Renaissance façade is sometimes attributed to Giulio Danti. The reliefs of griffins at the bases of the two pilasters suggest that the Commune probably paid for it. Inside is a simple square room with an oval ceiling.



image