Chiesa della SS. Annunziata

The Basilica della Santissima Annunziata is a Renaissance-style, Roman Catholic minor basilica. This is considered the mother church of the Servite order. It is located at the northeastern side of the Piazza Santissima Annunziata near the city center. The church was founded in 1250 by the seven original members of the Servite Order. In 1252, a painting of the Annunciation, which had been begun by one of the monks but abandoned in despair because he did not feel he could create a beautiful enough image, was supposedly completed by an angel while he slept. This painting was placed in the church and became so venerated that in 1444 the Gonzaga family from Mantua financed a special tribune.