GetCOO

Chiesa dello Spirito Santo

The church and its Augustinian convent were founded in 1483 by Maria Caroldo and rebuilt in 1506 to a design by Antonio Abbondi (known as Lo Scarpagnino). The Scuola to the right of the church (the façade looking very similar but less squashed) was also added in 1506. In 1520 the Zattere fondamenta was built and the old church's apse was demolished. As a result the orientation was reversed and the present Lombardesque façade built. It was finished in 1524 by Giacomo de Bernardis, under Scarpagnino's supervision. It was here that the murderers of Lorenzini de'Medici took refuge after attacking him outside the church of San Polo in 1548.