GetCOO

Chiesa di Gesù e Maria

Gesù e Maria ("Jesus and Mary") is a Baroque church located on Via del Corso in the Rione Campo Marzio of central Rome, Italy. It faces across the street the similarly Baroque facade of San Giacomo in Augusta. It is more correctly called Chiesa dei Santi Nomi di Gesù e Maria ("Church of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary"). The church was made a cardinalate deaconry by Pope Paul VI in 1967 with the confusing name of Santissimi Nomi di Gesù e Maria in Via Lata ("Most Holy Names of Jesus and Mary on Via Lata"). "Via Lata" is the old name of Via del Corso. The church was built initially for a Discalced Augustinian order starting in 1633, with designs byCarlo Buzio (also called Carlo Milanese).



image