GetCOO

Chiesa di Ognissanti

Founded by Cistercian nuns from the convent of Santa Margherita on Torcello who moved here because it was a more salubrious location. They brought their own paintings with them, amongst them a Palma Giovane. They probably occupied an existing house initially, having a small wooden church built for them in 1472. Their finances would've improved after they acquired a miracle-working image of the Virgin. The church was rebuilt enlarged from 1505 to 1520 and consecrated in 1586. The length of time taken was probably the result of the nun's poverty causing slow and often-interrupted work. The complex was suppressed by the French in 1806 and stripped of its art.