GetCOO

Chiesa di S. Andrea delle Fratte

Sant'Andrea delle Fratte is a 17th-century basilica church in Rome, Italy, dedicated to St. Andrew. The Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Andreae Apostoli de Hortis is Ennio Antonelli. The current church was built over a pre-existing one, erected in 1192, called infra hortes ("between orchards", whence the name fratte, "woods") for it was located in a countryside area. It was the national church of the Scottish people in Rome, until 1585, when Pope Sixtus V assigned it to the Minim friars of Saint Francis of Paola. In 1604 the construction of the new church was begun, to the design of Gaspare Guerra.



image