GetCOO

Chiesa di S. Caterina da Siena (a Magnanapoli)

Santa Caterina a Magnanapoli is a 16th-century church in Rome. It is devoted to St. Catherine of Siena, and is located on theQuirinal Hill, in piazza Magnanapoli.nThe first church was first built ca. 1575 and originally belonged to an adjacent convent (built ca. 1568 by Pope Pius V) of Dominican tertiary nuns, which today houses the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Angelicum of the Dominican Order. Construction of the present church began in 1608, initially at expense of Cardinal Scipione Borghese to a design by Carlo Maderno, and stopped first in 1613. Meanwhile, the monastery acquired the Torre delle Milizie in 1619.



image