GetCOO

Chiesa di San Andrea in Fuoriporta

The earliest mention of this Church, today used for amateur dramatics, is in 1104. It stood immediately east of the early medieval civitas, in an area that developed rapidly in the 12th century.The front is in dressed stone blocks with a central nave taller than the aisles; the roof is double pitched. The central door of the three that open below architraves and round supporting arches is decorated with Roman doorposts; above are four deadarches separated by pilasters with round windows and rhombs.The facade appears to have been built later than the lower part of the external side walls, one of the many examples of reconstruction, which may have been begun even before 1104.



image