GetCOO

Chiesa di San Beneto

The church is first mentioned in the 10th Century as being founded by the Caloprini, Burcali and Falier families. It was given in 1013 to the Benedictine monastery of Santissima Trinità e San Michele Arcangelo in Brandolo near Chioggia by Giovanni and Domenico Falier. In 1167 a fire destroyed the original church and the second church, as seen in the Barbieri map (see below), was built. It passed to Cistercians at the behest of Pope Gregory IX in 1229. The order neglected the church, however, and in 1435 the first Patriarch, Lorenzo Giustiniani, made it a parish church. The church was closed in the early part of the 20th Century.