GetCOO

Chiesa di San Biagio

Originally built in 1052 by the Boncigli family for the use of new immigrants. From 1470 the Council of Ten allowed the church to be used by Venice's large Greek Orthodox community, considered heretics at the time and so only allowed the use of this small and non-central church. In 1498 they were further given permission to establish a Scuola here, in the name of St Nicholas. As early as 1511 Greek soldiers had been petitioning the Council of Ten to grant them larger premises, as they were not happy sharing San Biagio which due to the 'mixture of peoples, tongues, voices and services creates a confusion worse than Babylon'.