GetCOO

Chiesa di San Ciro ed ex Reclusorio delle Vergini

The church of San Ciro was completed in 1856 by the will of the sisters Concetta and Francesca Grimaldi, last descendants of the princely branch of the Grimaldi family. They also founded the adjoining convent, for use by women and the poor, as it was at that time, at the risk of their "virtue" in case they were left alone without the support of a husband or children. The complex is an interesting example of a 19th century devotional architecture (the church) and of a public foundation with a social purpose (the convent).



image