GetCOO

Chiesa di San Clemente

The Church of St. Clement overlooks the Piazza dei Signori in Padua. It is currently a dependent of the Cathedral Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta.
The earliest mention is a document from 1190, when it was elevated to a parish. In 1386, the church commemorated the victory at the Battle of Castagnaro of forces including men under Francesco Novello da Carrara over armies of Antonio della Scala. With its proximity to the nearby market places, they were able to promote the commissioning of private altars and restoration work. The building was substantially altered in the sixteenth century, during the work of reorganization of the square outside, and later in the 1600 and 1700. Titian Minium, a famous Paduan sculptor, is buried in the church.





image