GetCOO

Chiesa di San Francesco

San Francesco is a medieval, Gothic style, Roman Catholic church of Grosseto; it was originally attached to the Benedictine Order and dedicated to San Fortunato. But it was subsequently consigned to the Order of St Francis of Asissi. Rebuilt in 1231, it was consecrated in 1289. The portal has a rose window depicting the Madonna and child and saints, restored in 1927, along with bell tower, by the artist-architect Casucci. Other than an inferior additions of travertine marble, the church was constructed of brick. The interior has a large painted crucifix (c. 1289) attributed to Duccio di Boninsegna. The adjacent cloister also preserves the remains of some 13th century frescoes.



image