GetCOO

Chiesa di San Francesco

The church, erected in 1594 on a pre-existing Franciscan complex, the church is a masterpiece of the architect Biagio Rossetti.The brick facade is marked by marble and terracotta lesenes and sweeping lateral scrolls. The interior is arranged as a Latin cross with three aisles. There are eight chapels on each side and its pure Renaissance geometrical proportions give an impression of great harmony. In the first chapel on the left is a wonderful fresco by Garofalo The Capture of Christ (1524). Alongside the fresco is a rare example of an altarpiece sculpted in stone (Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane), flanked by frescoed portraits of the donators.