GetCOO

Chiesa di San Geremia

San Geremia is a church in Venice, northern Italy, located in the sestiere of Cannaregio. The apse of the church faces the Grand Canal, between the Palazzo Labia and the Palazzo Flangini. The edifice is popular as the seat of the cult of Saint Lucy of Syracuse, whose remains are housed inside. The first church was erected here in the 11th century, and was later rebuilt on several occasions. In 1206 it is mentioned to house the remains of St. Magnus of Oderzo (died 670), who had taken refuge in this area from the Lombards. A first rebuilding was held under doge Sebastiano Ziani, the new church being consecrated in 1292. The current edifice dates from 1753, designed by Carlo Corbellini.