GetCOO

Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Greci

Built for the Greek community in Venice, who had previously shared the church of San Biagio and who numbered around 4000 at the time. Greek scholars contributed much towards Venice's dominance of the printing trade at the time, and thereby also to its eminence as a seat of Renaissance learning. The church was financed by taxing all the Greek ships arriving in Venice. It was built in a Renaissance style reminiscent of Sansovino by Sante Lombardo from the laying of the foundation stone in 1539 until his death in 1547, and finished by Giannantonio Chiona.