GetCOO

Chiesa di san Giorgio dei Tedeschi

The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which German soldiers died fighting on the side of the Pisans. In their honour, a German confraternity founded this Church in 1317, and decorated it with the arms of the knights. These decorations were removed some time before 1643.In 1414 the building was annexed to the Foundlings Hospital (Ospedale dei Trovatelli) and, under the new name of San Giorgio degli Innocenti, became the chapel of the adjacent hospital. Later both Church and Institution were governed by the Ospedale degli Innocenti in Florence (1567) and finally they passed to the Ospedali Riuniti di Santa Chiara (1784), to which they still belong.



image