GetCOO

Chiesa di San Giuseppe

Founded in 1530, this church, belonging to the Gesuate sisters of Lucca, was consecrated in 1572. It was the first building of a convent completed in 1534. The building was completely restructured and greatly modified Between 1707 and 1710 under the direction of Giuseppe and Francesco Melani.The plastered façade is flanked by pilasters culminating in Corinthian capitals, supporting a wide pediment, below which is a large window framed in marble above the doorway, it too framed in marble. Two marble plaques record privileges and honours conferred on the Compagnia del Crocione, and a third recalls restoration work carried out in 1895. A new bell tower was erected in 1710.



image