GetCOO

Chiesa di San Giuseppe dei Falegnami

San Giuseppe dei Falegnami is a Roman Catholic church, located in the Forum. In 1540, the Congregation of the Carpenters had leased the former church of San Pietro in Carcere which was located over the Mamertine Prison, which by legend had held Saint Peter and Saint Paul. By 1597 work began on the new church, dedicated to the patron saint of Carpenters, St. Joseph. The initial architect wasGiacomo della Porta. Work continued after 1602 under the direction of Giovanni Battista Montano, who designed the facade and at his death (1621) by his pupilGiovanni Battista Soria. The church was completed in 1663 by Antonio Del Grande. The church was restored in 1886 with the construction of a new apse.



image