GetCOO

Chiesa di San Lorenzo

The original church was founded in 812 by Orso Partecipazio (later Doge Partecipazio) with its Benedictine convent established by him in 854. Rebuilt several times, the current church dates from a complete rebuilding by Sorella in 1592-1602. But the façade was never even started. Marco Polo had been buried here (as had his father Niccolò) but his sarcophagus was lost during the rebuilding. Suppressed, along with the convent, in 1810 with its art works dispersed. Some of the convent buildings in front of the church were demolished soon after.