GetCOO

Chiesa di San Martino

The Church of S. Martino in Chinzica is first mentioned in 1066; it stood on the Carraia Maiore, the most important roadway entering Pisa from the south, today called via S. Martino.The Church is hall-shaped, with a short transept. It was completely re-built in the middle ages by count Bonifacio Novello della Gherardesca, who transformed the Cure into a convent for nuns.The lower story of the Church front, in white marble, is decorated with five dead arches and the Church door at the centre, while the upper story is the result of renovations in the 1600s. The rest of the building is entirely built in brick. The apse is divided into three sections by pilasters; round windows bordered .



image