GetCOO

Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo

Archaeological evidence from this site indicates that it was already inhabited by the Etruscans and Romans. The earliest mention of the church and adjacent monastery goes back to 1016, when a pre-existing chapel was transformed and dedicated to the Archangel Michael, under the directions of the Benedictine monk Bono. The building was handed over to Camaldolese monks between 1105 and 1111, in whose hands it remained until 1782, when monasteries were suppressed, and the church was transformed into a Priory.



image