GetCOO

Chiesa di San Nicola a Nilo

After Masaniello's revolution of 1647, the pharmacist Sabato Anella took pity on the many children orphaned in the upheavals, and created an orphanage at his home near Sedile di Porto. Thereafter the Count of Oñate, then Viceroy, obtained a building at this site from the Marquis of Mari. A church and adjacent oratory-church were built, and supervised by a monastic order. The church was dedicated to dedicated to St Nicolas, Bishop of Myra, patron of orphans and grocers.



image