GetCOO

Chiesa di San Paolo All'Orto

This Church, documented since 1086, in 1132 was an Agustinian canonical cure. From 1472 to 1808, when the convent was suppressed, it belonged to Augustinian Domenican nuns, In 1819 the building was opened once more for worship and became the seat of the confraternity of St. Barbara and the Birth of Mary. Until the mid 20th century, the church was still used for worship but now it is deconsecrated and is a Gipsoteca, housing a collection of plaster casts of ancient works of art belonging to the University of Pisa. The lower part of the facade is decorated in the style typical of Pisan Romanesque architecture, first used in the Cathedral: round dead arches, pilasters, architraves, rhombs.



image