GetCOO

Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli

Where the Romanesque church of S. Pietro in Vinculis now stands there was once the church of S. Pietro ai Sette Pini (by Seven Pine Trees), mentioned for the first time in 763 AD. No evident remains have been found of it. The Romanesque Church of San Pietro in vinculis (known as S. Pierino), is one of three Pisan churches (the others are S. Cristina and S. Margherita) documented in Longobard times. The new church was consecrated in 1118. The plan was for a two-story building: the Church was raised above street level and a crypt below with cross-vaulting resting on stone columns, later used for burial, as funeral inscriptions carved on the columns testify.



image