GetCOO

Chiesa di San Severo

According to tradition, this was once the site of a temple to the sun god. A group of Camaldolesian monks founded a hermitage here in 1007 during the lifetime of St Romuald, the founder of what became the Camaldolesian Congregation of the Benedictine Order. A monastery here and its church of San Severo (which was dedicated to St Severus, Bishop of Ravenna) were confirmed as possessions of San Apollinare in Classe, Ravenna in 1037 (by the Emperor Conrad II), in 1210 (by the Emperor Otto IV) and in 1229 (by Pope Gregory IX). By 1263, possession had passed to the Camaldolesians of San Giovanni Evangelista, Borgo Sansepolcro, an arrangement that persisted until at least the late 14th century.



image