GetCOO

Chiesa di San Silvestro

Founded in the 9th Century, this church was rebuilt in the first half of the 15th, being consecrated in 1422 and incorporating the nearby oratory of Ognissanti. There was a further rebuilding in the first half of the 17th Century and then again, and more completely, in 1837-43. A large part of the altar of Saint Joseph, including a cornice and three angels, collapsed on the night before Easter Sunday 1820. Subsequent surveys showed that the church was in danger of falling down. Rebuilding began in 1836 to plans by Lorenzo Santi, and was continued by Giovanni Meduna, following Santi's death. Reconsecration took place in 1850.