GetCOO

Chiesa di San Simone del Carmine

A church on this site that was dedicated to SS Simon and Jude (SS Simone e Guida) was documented as a parish church in 1285. In 1296, Bishop Bulgaro Montemelini gave the church to a community of Carmelites, who moved here from their earlier settlement at Santa Maria della Valle. They re-dedicated the church to St Simon Stock, [the Englishman who had been their Minister General in the period 1247-65], and built the adjacent convent in Via Abruzzo to the right. The Carmelites rebuilt the church in 1377 using stone from the demolished fortress at Porta Sant’ Antonio (part of the Fortezza di Porta Sole).



image