GetCOO

Chiesa di San Sisto in Cortevecchia

The church of St. Sisto was built in Cortevecchia in 1087, soon after the Pisan conquest of the Al Mahdiya emporium inTunisia. Here, the military victories of the Pisan Republic are celebrated, on a date when many of them occurred, 6th August, in honour of the Saint. The name Cortevecchia reminds us that in the early middle ages the political heart of Pisa was here, where the Longobard King’s Steward resided.In spite of several renovations (in mid 15th century, early 17th century and in the 1760s), the church has changed very little in appearance since the middle ages.



image